Kindergarten is intended to meet all the developmental needs of young children – social, intellectual, creative, cultural, physical and emotional. It is a time for a child to experience social interaction, to develop communication skills, and to discover and explore. It is the first step in formal education and provides the foundation for future learning.
A strong academic component in our program ensures that our students are well prepared for Grade 1. The program emphasizes early literacy and language learning, with an introduction to letters, letter sounds, sight words, numbers and math concepts. Various themes throughout the year provide a focus for learning activities and experiences. To view the themes and related special events for the current school year, Click Here.
What sets our program apart from other options is the variety of enrichment activities and outings throughout the school year. These include:
- skating and swimming lessons all taught by certified, trained instructors.
- field trips to local venues that may include Safety City, Butterfield Acres, Calgary Co-op, the library, fire station and the theatre.
- in-class visitors vary from year to year but tyically include storytellers, community helpers, reptile collections, dinosaur presentations, etc.
- unique hands-on learning experiences, such as bread-making, music & art classes, and hatching duck eggs and butterfly larvae.
Dalhousie Community Kindergarten is monitored, evaluated and fully funded by Alberta Education, and must adhere to the same guidelines and meet the same requirements as kindergartens in the public school system. A parent-run Parent Council is responsible for administration and program planning.
In addition to our Kindergarten program, we also offer Junior Kindergarten for children who are 4 years of age by September. The Junior Kindergarten and Kindergarten is run as a split class 5 mornings per week with tuition fees of $350 per month per child. Hours for the class are 8:50 – 11:40 am. Junior Kindergarten benefits children who are ready for an enriched program, but are not yet ready for a full Kindergarten program. Junior Kindergarten students follow the themes and curriculum of a Kindergarten program, but meet expectations that are adapted to their younger age and maturity levels, and receive extra help with many projects. They benefit from our same talented kindergarten teacher, small class sizes and exceptional classroom and extra-curricular experiences.
Out of School Care:
The Dalhousie Community Association operates an on site Out of School Care Program for children aged 4.5 and up. Please contact them directly for information. Click here to connect to their website.
Students who reside more than 2.4 km from our school may be eligible for a transportation subsidy. Please talk to us for more details.
General schedule information:
- Our current hours are 8:50 – 11:40 am Monday through Friday.
- All school supplies are provided by the school.
- Parents are asked to pack a labeled small snack each day for their child.
- Typically, the school year begins the week after Labour Day, starting with two days of staggered entry. In late August or early September, you will be notified with your child’s start date.
- Classes finish by the second last week of June.
Looking for a Preschool Option?
The Dalhousie Community Preschool offers 2 and 3 day a week options for children aged 3 or 4. This program is offered under the umbrella of the Dalhousie Community Association. Information is available at www.dcpreschool.ca