Dalhousie Community Kindergarten is open to children from any community in Calgary, not just Dalhousie. Registration for Kindergarten students takes place in January of each year. Starting 2020, kindergarten-aged children attending the Dalhousie Community Pre-school can register one week prior to our open registration date. All registrations are taken strictly on a first come, first served basis. If there is any space available, Junior Kindergarten registrations (those students who are four years old by September 1) are accepted at the start of February. It should also be noted, the registrations of special needs students (those receiving Program Unit Funding (PUF)) are handled a little differently, with registrations being accepted at the start of December. 2 spots for PUF funded students will be held open until our open registration date.
- To register, please bring your child’s birth certificate, immunization card and Alberta Health Care Card. It is recommended that your child have the Measles/Mumps/Rubella immunization prior to entry into Kindergarten. Also bring cheques for the three amounts noted below.
Please contact us directly if you have questions about this process and see more information below. Call: (403)288-1050 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Class hours for the 2019 – 2020 school year are 8:50 – 11:40 am daily.
Key Dates for the 2020 – 2021 Year:
- New for the 2020- 21 school year, children are considered kindergarten-aged for September 2020 enrollment if they turn 5 years old on or before Dec. 31, 2020.
- Junior kindergarten students must be 4 years old by September 1.
- Registrations for kindergarten-aged PUF students (2 spots) will be accepted starting 9:00 am Tuesday December 3, 2019.
- Our Open House will be held on the evening of January 14, 2020 (6:30 – 7:30pm @ 5432 Dalhart Rd NW).
- Priority registration for kindergarten-aged children currently attending the Dalhousie Community Preschool will be accepted starting 9:30 am Tuesday January 21, 2020.
- Open Kindergarten registration night will he held on January 28, 2020 (6:30 – 7:30pm).
- Junior kindergarten registrations (if spaces are available) will be accepted starting 9:30 am Tuesday February 4, 2020.
- New Parent orientation will be held on the evening of Monday April 27th, 2020.
- New Student orientation will take place during the morning of Friday May 29, 2020.
Save time and complete your forms at home!
- Click for a pdf copy: Registration Form
Copies of these forms will also be available on registration night.
Out of School Care:
The Dalhousie Community Association operates an on-site Out of School Care Program for children aged 4.5 and up. Please contact them directly for information or click on the link to see their information flyer.
Students who reside more than 2.4 km from our school may be eligible for a transportation subsidy. Please talk to us for more details.
- To qualify for Kindergarten for the 2020 – 21 school year, your child must be five years old by Dec 31, 2020 to start class in September.
- To qualify for Junior Kindergarten, children must be 4 by September, 2019.
- Tuition for Junior Kindergarten students is $380 per month for the 2020/21 school year. Rates are reviewed prior to registration each year.
- Junior Kindergarten students will join our Kindergarten students in morning class as space permits.
- Registration is taken on a first come, first served basis. Final acceptance may be subject to be an assessment conducted by the Kindergarten Teacher to ensure program fit, and could include a visit to the child’s current program.
- A $50 non-refundable registration fee will be collected at the time of registration.
- A $120 Program Enhancement Fee – Like other publicly funded kindergarten programs, Dalhousie Community Kindergarten collects a one-time program enhancement fee. This fee of $120 for students is collected at the time of registration, post-dated to May 30th. This fee is refundable with written notification of withdrawal prior to May 1st. The fee covers classroom supplies, special materials, field trips, or guest speakers that provide program enrichment and are beyond the curriculum mandated by Alberta Education. Other fees may be collected during the year to cover additional enrichment activities or lessons (i.e. skating lessons, swimming, etc).
- A $100 Volunteer Deposit fee is collected from all families in September. A cheque for $100, post-dated to September 1 is collected at registration. The fee is returned upon completion of specific volunteer duties.
Special Needs/Program Unit Funded (PUF) Students:
Dalhousie Community Kindergarten values diversity in our classroom and we have a long history of welcoming students with a wide range of backgrounds and abilities. Within that context, our governing body, the Dalhousie Community Kindergarten Society, has allocated two Kindergarten registrations specifically for students that receive Program Unit Funding (PUF) / are special needs students.
To enable a smoother registration process for these two special needs spots, registration for those spots will now be accepted before general Kindergarten registration which is typically at the end of January. Special needs registrations will be accepted on a first come, first served basis starting the first Tuesday of each December at 9:00 a.m. and will be held open until general kindergarten registration in January. The first two registrations will be assessed by the Kindergarten Teacher to ensure program fit and could include a visit to the child’s current program. Parents will be advised of their child’s full acceptance into the program in a timely manner. All other subsequent registrations will be wait-listed in priority order to be considered if a special needs spot should become available.