Part Time (.5) Teaching Position: We currently operate a morning class, of approximately 18 students, five days a week.
Start Date: late August 2019. One year contract with option to renew.
Salary Range: Based on the Calgary Board of Education pay scale
Background: The Dalhousie Community Kindergarten is an independent public kindergarten program operated by the Dalhousie Community Kindergarten Society (DCKS). The program has been in operation for over 30 years and we pride ourselves on our long-standing reputation for excellence. Our program offers an enhanced learning environment with the provision of exciting activities and learning experiences. Ours is an integrated classroom, and we foster a strong sense of community between our families and our students.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and creative individual who shares our passion for early childhood education. This position reports directly to the DCKS Board of Directors. The teacher is responsible for overseeing the long-term planning and ongoing classroom related activities.
Key areas of accountability and responsibilities will include:
- Planning and teaching the kindergarten program pursuant to the School Act, that follows the Alberta curriculum
- Encouraging and fostering learning in students;
- Regularly evaluating students and periodically reporting the results of the evaluation to the students, and the students’ parents;
- Managing relationships with parents and outside agencies;
- Carrying out duties subject to the teacher’s contract of employment and job description
- Providing supervision of the Teacher’s Assistant;
- Managing the classroom facilities;
- Reporting to the DCKS Board and providing support to its committees.
- Bachelor of Education;
- Previous teaching experience in an early childhood classroom;
- Valid interim or permanent Alberta teaching certificate;
- Membership in the Alberta Teachers Association;
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain a criminal record check with a vulnerable sector search;
- First aid training.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
Strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills are essential along with a high level of enthusiasm and passion for your career. The ideal candidate will have a strong track record of success and experience in an Early Childhood Education environment and must have the ability to work independently in a small organization.
Specifically, we require an individual that possesses:
- Confidence, knowledge and understanding of the Alberta Education kindergarten curriculum, and the ability to plan and deliver instruction based on student learning needs, including those of special needs students;
- The ability to plan, organize and assess developmentally-appropriate experiences that foster learning through the use of a variety of methods, hands-on activities, stories, discussions, songs, art, recreational experiences, etc., with an emphasis on play and inquiry-based learning;
- The ability to provide a stimulating, learning environment in which children can experience growth and develop potential while focusing on positive self-concepts;
- A genuine interest in children and respect and recognition for the individual student;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills that will support the need to establish rapport with all students, parents, and colleagues and provide valuable assessment and feedback;
- The ability to provide constructive conflict resolution that facilitates positive social relationships;
- The familiarity with identifying and referring students for assessments to outside support agencies;
- The ability to support families from diverse backgrounds, and adapt, as required, to unique situations;
- The ability to work independently, but foster a collaborative environment with program stakeholders;
- Strong time management skills and desire to pursue ongoing professional development;
This is a part time position which includes occasional evening hours for parent and board meetings. Candidates must also be able to perform physical tasks, including moving classroom equipment and furniture, such as chairs and tables, toys, and supply boxes.
Closing Date: May 13 , 2019
Apply with the following:
- Cover letter and resume and
- Copy of valid teaching certificate